NSEA works closely with its local affiliates to secure quality, affordable, comprehensive health coverage. We offer expertise to affiliates working in both bargaining and non-bargaining contexts.
HOW WE CAN HELP
It takes time and experience to evaluate health care options with different premiums, copays, and deductibles. And it takes time and expertise to analyze health care laws and policies that affect when and how you’re covered. That’s why, among other work, we’re here to:
- provide tactical and strategic advice on health benefits and health policy issues
- assist in the development of, or response to, bargaining proposals and initiatives in labor-management health care committees
- help with interpreting and demystifying complex health care laws and regulations
- support affiliate-related health benefit trusts.
HEALTH INSURANCE SELECTION TIPS FOR NEW EDUCATORS
If you’re starting a new job in the education field, chances are you’ll need to make decisions regarding your new employer’s health insurance. The “New Educators’ Health Insurance Selection Tips” in the downloads section below walks you through key decision points, provides plain-language explanations, and gives you space to make notes comparing insurance options.
MAKING SENSE OF HEALTH INSURANCE
Making sense of health insurance is important, whether you’re using the plan you have, working with your employer to restructure a plan, or looking for a new plan. A good way to start is by breaking the issue into three parts:
- the financial features that establish your financial exposure
- the networks and other structural components that frame how you access care
- common tax-advantaged accounts that help you cover your health care costs.
Get the full document in the downloads section below.