Meet the Candidates Know the Issues
Nevada State Assembly Endorsements
Selena La Rue Hatch
Cameron "C.H." Miller
Learn about the campaign issues and policies that impact public education, then take action to support students.
Education Funding and Budget
- Fully funding public schools is the only way to ensure all students get the education they deserve, regardless of ZIP code.
- A top concern of classroom educators has been too many standardized tests shifting the focus in the classroom away from student learning toward a culture of high-stakes testing - More learning, less testing.
- NSEA has previously expressed our concern that existing policy on student assessments, teacher evaluations, and school star ratings compromises the safe operation of schools during the COVID-19 crisis.
- These mechanisms have failed to foster the improvements in either achievement or student engagement they were intended to deliver.
- For students, smaller class size can help close the racial achievement gap, lead to earlier identification of learning disabilities, improve high school graduation rates, improve student behavior, and allow for more engagement in lessons.
- For educators, smaller class size improves educator morale as it allows for more individual and differentiated instruction, less time on paperwork, and stronger classroom management as teachers become more aware of individual students’ strengths or weaknesses.
Privatization and Outsourcing
- Public money should go to public services. Giving taxpayer money to private interests, like unaccountable, for-profit charter schools, eliminates a path to well-paying jobs for the communities public schools serve.