Nevada Charter School Law Summary
There are three entities allowed in law to sponsor a charter school:
1. The board of trustees of a school district may apply to the Department of Education for authorization to sponsor charter schools within the school district in accordance with the regulations adopted by the Department pursuant to NRS 386.540. An application must be approved by the Department before the board of trustees may sponsor a charter school. Not more than 180 days after receiving approval to sponsor charter schools, the board of trustees shall provide public notice of its ability to sponsor charter schools and solicit applications for charter schools.
2. The State Public Charter School Authority shall sponsor charter schools whose applications have been approved by the State Public Charter School Authority pursuant to NRS 386.525. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, if the State Public Charter School Authority sponsors a charter school, the State Public Charter School Authority is responsible for the evaluation, monitoring and oversight of the charter school.
3. A college or university within the Nevada System of Higher Education may submit an application to the Department to sponsor charter schools in accordance with the regulations adopted by the Department pursuant to NRS 386.540. An application must be approved by the Department before a college or university within the Nevada System of Higher Education may sponsor charter schools.
State law specifies the requirements and procedures for charter school sponsors to operate a charter school. Nevada Revised Statutes Sections 386.490-649 comprise the state’s Charter School laws. The major areas for regulating charter schools in state law include:
- State Public Charter School Authority
- Sponsorship of Charter Schools; Review and Approval of Applications to Form Charter Schools; Renewal and Revocation of Charters
- Governing Body; Operation and Finances; Contracts; Implementation of Statutes; Relations With Board of Trustees
- Account for Charter Schools
- Reports Required of Governing Body and Sponsor
- Charter School Financing Law
A 2014 Charter School Directory lists the following number of Charter Schools with one or more campuses in operation by sponsoring entity:
- State Charter School Authority 18
- Carson City School District 1
- Clark County School District 7
- Washoe School District 8