Cyber Lobbying Resources
At the heart of the Association's lobbying strategy is the grassroots involvement of members in every corner of the state. Although NSEA's lobbyists play a key role during the session, legislators want—and need—to hear how their actions will impact children and education back home.
Lobbying isn't hard—and it can be fun. You don't have to be an expert on school finance or anything else but you are the expert on how legislation will affect your students and your school.
Here are some tips for effective lobbying:
- Keep on top of the issues by regularly visiting our website.
- The most effective member-lobbyists are those who have developed a personal relationship with their legislators. Plan to keep in touch throughout the session via letters, phone calls, or personal visits when they are home for the weekend.
- If you plan to meet with your legislator at the Capitol during the legislative session, be sure to schedule an appointment in advance.
- Personal letters are always appreciated. Remember to stick to only one or two issues at a time, provide real-life personal examples, and be polite. Also, don't forget to carefully proofread your letter.
- You can reach legislators through our Legislative Directory. Before you use your school e-mail account to correspond with your legislator, be sure to check your school district's policy on personal use of e-mail.
- Click here for more information on how to contact your legislators.
- Click here to download more tips for writing to your legislators.
NSEA-interactive 2017 Legislature Mobile app https://dl.doubledutch.me/download.aspx?appId=e50a2242-a967-436d-8067-4aac8a4bfbb8®ion=us
Nevada Legislature FAQs https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Division/Research/Library/FAQ/FAQ.cfm
Nevada Legislature dashboard for 79th Legislative Session https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/79th2017/
List of Bill Draft Requests (BDRs) https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/79th2017/BDRList/
Nevada Legislative Information System (NELIS) https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/79th2017